Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving is absolutely my favorite holiday. Yea, the presents at Christmas are fun, as are all of the decorations and parties. But Thanksgiving seems a bit easier and yet you get all the same great food and family!

We'll be spending Thanksgiving day with my family and then heading to Cary's parents farm house for the weekend. This year my mom is making the turkey while I'm bringing several side dishes. For several years in the past the turkey was my responsibility. I have pictures of my very first Thanksgiving turkey, made in my single bedroom apartment. I'll never forget putting the bird in the oven and then heading out to church. When I climbed the stairs to my apartment I could hear the buzzers going off and I was so afraid that I had caught the place on fire or worse burned the turkey! Thankfully it was just the timer going off. I was so proud!!

This year I have my grandmothers recipe for yeast rolls, my mother-in-laws fantastic sweet potato casserole recipe, and of course we can't forget the classic green been casserole. When my grandma is in town she always brings Nut Rolls with her and we chow down while the gravy is cooking and the turkey is resting. This year I'm making Nut Roll! I tried back in the spring when I first got the recipe, but it didn't turn out so well. Hopefully I'll have more success this time around.

Speaking of...the yeast is ready and I need to get rolling. It's a long process with lots of waiting for dough to rise and then creating filling, then rolling the nut filling into the dough log. So much work but oh so good!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! :)

1 comment:

Peyton said...

have fun, sounds like a good time! I miss you and your baby belly.