Sunday, December 7, 2008

Apple Pie Sunday

While doing some much needed cleaning and organizing today I noticed these apples. For some reason during the past few trips to the grocery store I've picked up apples to snack on. They haven't been eaten and I could tell I needed to use them or they would go bad.

So I decided that this afternoon I was going to make homemade apple pie. This is something I've never tempted before, mostly because I'm a bigger fan of chocolate than fruit for sweet treats. Recently I've dabbled in a couple of fruit crumbles but that's about it.


So to my trusty collection of recipe books and I saw a recipe from my dear and trusted cook, Ina Garten (a.k.a. The Barefoot Contessa).

One of the first steps is making the crust. All ingredients MUST be very cold. Even after putting it all together the dough must rest in the refrigerator for at least 1/2 hr.



While waiting for the dough to set I turned up some Christmas music and began peeling, coring & chopping apples.


To be frank, at this point my feet began to hurt and I started to wonder what I had gotten myself into. Was this really necessary? Too late now. I'm almost 1/2 way done!
So I rolled out the bottom crust and got very excited to wrap the dough around my rolling pin, like the chefs do on the Food Network.


The top crust was a bit testy with me and after I applied it I realized I didn't read the directions thoroughly and had to remove it. After reforming it and rolling it out again, the second try turned out much better.


Okay, it cooked for an hour and I cleaned some more! What do you think?

I'm pretty proud of myself! Hopefully it will taste as good as it looks!!
A FEW HOURS LATER.....
Hmm..maybe not so good after all.

Cary cut into it and when he tried to serve it I asked "why is it so soupy?" It doesn't taste that great. I would even go so far as to say it's inedible; at least in my book (and I'm pretty sure Cary would agree). Maybe I didn't cook it long enough? Now what do I do with it? Hey, can't win them all!! Bummer...

4 comments:

Courtney said...

impressive!

Michelle said...

But how did it taste???? :)

Jessica said...

I applaud your effort! I have never made my own pie crust. And when I attempted to make an apple pie, I forgot to peel the apples! But in my defense, the recipe did not say to peel the apples! I was a newlywed trying to impress my new husbands grandmother! But she noticed and let me know it!

Michelle said...

Well, at least it looked really good! Pies are tricky!