Monday, December 21, 2009

Sheetrock

We have sheetrock going up this week. Cary has been working like a mad man this past weekend and even today, getting everything ready for this crew. They should be complete by Friday, which means we'll be painting next week!



You might notice the new column! One thing that Cary, Kenny and my dad worked on this weekend.


This is the master bedroom wall between the kitchen and bedroom. I told my dad this afternoon, "Now that the sheetrock is going up the house is transforming from HUGE to smaller." It's one of those transitions that renovations go through.


Here is one of the master bedroom closets.


I took this picture to show the new hardwood floors being woven into the old hardwood. But I just noticed you can see the stilts the sheetrock installer wears all over the house.


I have to tell this story of how God met us, when it came to the hardwood flooring. I mean the Lord has really shown Himself to us pretty much every single day of these renovations, but this is just what I like to call a Divine Appointment.

So when we renovated a house last year, Cary found a hardwood flooring refinisher on Craigslist. He did a great job. He had recently moved to VA because his father was ill and he needed to take care of him. Cary tried several times to contact him when we realized the scope of flooring work we needed done in this house. But after 3 attempts and constantly getting a wrong number signal we figured something must have happened and Man moved back north. Well last week Cary stopped by the flooring store (a company that only sells to contractors but somehow because our job is so small we were able to buy a few pieces of wood from them) and was waiting for the sales clerk, alone at the counter when a man walks in. He looked very familiar and Cary really thought he was our original refinisher, but wasn't 100% confident so he decided to wait a few seconds to hear his voice. That confirmed for Cary that this guy was indeed our "man" and long story short he has been out just installing the new wood at incredible speed. MUCH faster and less expensive than if we tried to do it ourselves or have our carpenter work on it. Thank. You. LORD!!!

Here is Little Miss. Very sleepy but determined to learn how to install sheetrock onto the ceiling.






Since the ceilings are plaster and have lots of the classic plaster cracks, we decided to laminate 1/2" sheetrock onto the ceilings so we wouln't be constantly trying to repair cracks for the rest of our lives.

Now I have to pick paint colors.

Other good news! The kitchen cabinets are ordered and it seems like we might have them delivered to the house before we move in. That in itself is a miracle because we were convinced they wouldn't arrive for at least a week or two after we were in the house.

I have to give credit to Cary. He is working SO hard on this house. He knows how important it is for it to be as close to finished as possible before we move in, and we are working on a tight schedule. He is pouring his heart and soul into managing all the people and making this project work smoothly with in our very small budget. I am so proud of him. This is not an easy time for us, but like I said earlier, God has been so faithful. We can't go one day with out praising Him for bringing us through another day and showing Himself to us. Amazing.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

wow, leah. thanks for sharing! i can't even begin to imagine...i'd rather mother 6 kids than do what you're doing ;-)