Thursday, August 11, 2011

Just Waiting...(with results)

Oh where do I begin with this post....

Back story info:  Ellery has been potty trained for probably a month or so now.  At one point she was going to the potty all by herself and I only needed to help (mostly remind) her that she needed to wipe.

However, over the past week something has happened.  Today I realized that "something" is her age.  She is transitioning into the defiant 3's; although she's only 2 1/2.  She does not want to go potty any more.  She thinks accidents are okay,"they happen and it's okay." is what she says to me sometimes.  Uhhh, NO!

So while we were at the pediatricians this morning I was given the advice of trying out reverse psychology and/or a sticker chart of some sort.  We'll do the sticker chart in a bit but for now I'm just gonna see how this psychology thing works out.

Nap time today is my test.  She fought me tooth and nail about getting into bed.  I didn't even want to attempt to put a diaper on her once I FINALLY got her to lay still.  So I said,

"Ellery.  Are you going to go pee pee on the potty or are you going to go pee pee all over yourself?"

The discussion went back and forth, "pee pee on the potty.  no, pee pee on myself."

I told her the consequences to pee peeing on herself but that is what she chose.

I KNOW how this is gonna turn out.  I also know that her sheets need washing anyway.  But I'm curious to see if I can be wrong.  Let me add that there are more times than not that she will get up from nap and not have used her diaper.

But really, I'm just making more work for myself this afternoon...I just know it.  Maybe some sort of self decision is what she needs to turn a corner in this department.  I'm just tired of parent directed potty training, especially when I KNOW she knows how to do it on her own.

Ugh...

Well much to my surprise Ellery did not pee all over herself.  She went to the potty (after me directing her there of course) after her 2 hour nap and did great.  Now, if only the rest of the afternoon had been a success...

No comments: