Thursday, December 15, 2011

Compromising, sort of....

I have found that at certain times, while parenting a female toddler, compromise is a necessity. Ellery and I have certainly had our "toe to toe" battles, some of which have lasted HOURS. The majority of these times had to do with the lesson of obedience and respect. Definitely no compromise in those situations.

However, this afternoon was a good example of when to just let go and let her BE.

Yesterday she found the pink shirt and heart shorts in her closet.  It's been there all summer and she showed NO interest all summer.  But of course when it's 45 degrees outside she wants to wear that outfit.  I let her run around the house in the pink shirt.  Today she woke up from her nap and again was determined to wear the pink shirt and heart shorts.  She already had on the grey long sleeve shirt.  Mommy saying "no" to the pink shirt was not an option in her mind.  So I told her she could wear it over her grey shirt but HAD to keep on the long sleeves.  Then I told her to go into her room and find her jeans.  I believe a conversation when something like this:

(After sending her back to look for the jeans, she came out to the living room empty handed and looking frustrated.  The heart shorts were on the floor in the living room.)

Mommy:  Ellery, where are your jeans?  Didn't you see them?
 Ellery:  (sigh, sitting down on the floor) Listen.  I could not find my jeans and these (picking up the heart shorts) are the ONLY thing to wear!
Mommy:  (Laughing hysterically) You can wear those heart shorts either under your jeans or over something else but you must have something to cover your legs.  It's too cold outside to just wear those heart shorts.

The black leggings is what she came out with.  I said, "Okay, sure.  You put them on."  She's learning to dress herself and it's hysterical.

She's not even 3 yet and I will definitely have my hands full when she's a teen.


I found these antlers in her preschool bag this afternoon.  They have small bells at the ears and I had to bribe her with a treat to get her to wear them.  Again, purely for my enjoyment!


The outfit seriously cracks me up.


Now.  For this little guy!!

Walt had his 6 mo. check up yesterday.  He has a slight ear infection, from that nasty cough his sister gave him, remember?  Poor little guy was NOT happy last night after all of his vaccinations and cold.

Here are the stats!

16 lbs. 6oz.
16 3/4 inches

He is army crawling.  Loves to chew on shoes.  Tries to pull himself up on the edge of his crib (gotta lower the mattress).  Sits up and babbles.  Still going to bed at 6:00 pm and wakes a couple of times at night.  I'll nurse him once and then soothe him the other times.  He has slept straight through the night before, just not lately.  I started feeding him rice cereal a few days ago, it's going okay. He'll start veggies soon, maybe this week, maybe next.  We'll see...

It's crazy how kids change over time.  A few short weeks ago this little girl and I were NOT getting along.  Now, she loves me, we're friends, she snuggles with me and I feel like I have my daughter back.  Loving this time!!



1 comment:

L said...

Umm..am I weird because I think EE looks positively fabulous in her outfit? Seriously..it's really cute!!