Monday, October 31, 2011

Dinner...just because

I saw this recipe last week.  My thought, "ooh orange soup looks like something that might be fun for dinner on Halloween!"

I also had 90% of the ingredients in house.

This afternoon I ran out to the store and bought the butternut squash and 1/2 and 1/2.  On my way home I realized that I forgot to get chicken stock.  "OHHH STINK!!"  How frustrating is that?

So I raided my pantry.  What could I use as a substitute? 

Beef bullion cube?.  Noo, I think that might be too strong.

Liptons onion soup?  Hmmm....not so sure.

Knorr veggie soup mix?  Maybe.....

Then I saw a big can of Campbell's condensed chicken noodle soup.  Huh...That's an idea.

So I drained the can of all it's liquid, added a cup and a half of water and used it!

I have to say I'm pretty proud of myself for that pantry creativity.

Unfortunately I'm the only person in the house that liked the soup.  It's very delicious and I choose to believe that it's too complex for my daughter (well, would a toddler really eat orange soup anyway?) and my husband has a rougher palette (or so I would like to believe).  A veggie soup (or meal for that matter) doesn't work for him.  Oh well, I had 2 bowls and didn't feel guilty!

Let me end on this note, once I made homemade croutons I doubt I will buy them again at the store.  That was one aspect of Cary's dinner he DID enjoy.

No comments: