Thank the good Lord this weekend was MUCH better than last weekend. :)
This morning I participated in the Frostbite 15K race. It's a local race with, what my running partner Samira and I called, "Real Runners." Funny how we never really considered ourselves "Real Runners," in spite of our running accomplishments. When I mentioned this to Cary he said, "Well yea real runners do this race. I mean think about it, only dedicated runners will train and run a race in FREEZING temps for the fun of it." Very true statement. It seemed small, 600 + participants, great course, well supported. It's definitely something I'll consider for next year.
It was a race that I like to refer to as "a reason to get off my butt and do something." We ran it for fun, NOT time. Although I will say it was nice to see the last mile + at a sub 9 minute and felt like I wasn't even pushing myself. I think I could be a better/faster runner if I actually applied myself. But to be honest I run more for the social aspect, and let's not forget the fact that I'm married to a man who NEEDS me to run. Seriously, it's a legitimate need of his.
2 girlfriends trained with me for this race, Samira & Christine, all 3 of us ran the 1/2 marathon together. We've had so much fun getting together on Saturday mornings and going out for long runs training for this race. We have approached our training runs as an opportunity to get away from the demands of Motherhood as well as a chance to just hang out and let's not forget the incredible endorphin kick. Poor Christine came down with a bug this weekend and wasn't able to run with us today. She was missed.
The next race is the Monument Ave. 10k. Yep, that's one I'll do for time. I guess I just have to learn how to apply myself. Whatever that means...
No comments:
Post a Comment