Sunday, May 13, 2007

Teamwork

So far this weekend has been very productive. I anticipated working on Friday evening with Cary on our Greenford Street remodeling project. When I got home from work it was a rush to begin the house cleaning process until it was dinner time. I made some spaghetti and then we finally sat down to catch up on "Lost, " which was such a good episode. This was went Cary decided to surprise me and tell me we weren't going to Greenford St. (THANK GOD). So instead I was able to crawl into bed early and watch some TV before falling fast asleep.

Saturday morning we were up early and oh my gosh was it a crazy day. When Cary left to pick up the lawn mower and do the "round" of lawn care, I finished my cleaning. There was just enough time to grab a small snack before the man got home and we headed off to Greenford. Now I do have to brag a bit on my husband. He was genius enough to find a fraternity at VCU who will come out to help with some of the work for really cheap. Having been in a sorority I had a preconceived idea as to how all this house and yard work would play out with a bunch of fraternity boys. I'm happy to report that I was mistaken. The 9 or 10 guys arrived on time, they worked so hard and had a fantastic attitude for the 5 hours we had them. Team work was the name of their game. Through the rain, spreading top soil, spreading gravel, removing a chain link fence and all the other many tasks we had lined up, they were all about being a team and accomplishing the goal. As a matter of fact there was a moment when I couldn't help but get a little teary eyed. The last of the work had been completed except for a HUGE roll of chain link fence which needed to be hauled up into a dump truck, the bed of the truck was probably 5' off the ground. The guys took a minute to determine the best way of using their combined strength and a few 4 x 4 timbers we had laying around, to hoist this beast of an object into the truck. "Okay guys, on the count of 3...one...two...three" and they all lifted the fence a foot or two, then again "one...two...three.." and then the fence was in the truck. I was like a proud mom watching my boys accomplish something together...all 10 of them. Cary looked at me and I'm sure my face had gotten a little pink with the tears filling my eyes. Immediately I turned around and began to walk away. I mean I could feel proud but couldn't let on that those guys were getting to me. :)

At last, the day was done and an incredible amount of work had been accomplished. What a fantastic feeling. A good night's sleep and day of smaller house projects is on hand for the rest of the weekend.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

wow! that sounds like quite an ordeal! hope today is better!