Thursday, July 24, 2008

Great Is Thy Faithfulness

Do you ever have days that are so packed with decisions, emotions and chaos that when the end of the day comes you don't know what is up and what is down? Through my bible study I've learned a lot about how to distinguish between the lies Satan plants into my thoughts and truly searching for God's voice. Sometimes when I'm emotionally overwhelmed or very tired I notice small (okay sometimes large) doubts begin to seep into my thoughts. Doubts about life and relationships, past decisions or current decisions. If I choose to feed on these doubts then I notice my emotions begin the roller coaster of ups and downs which lead to a lot of destruction, through words spoken to loved ones or making poor choices in general.

Last night I was tempted to believe some doubts. I was tempted to believe that what God has brought into my life as good, is really hopeless. I knew deep down that these were lies and if I kept my faith in Christ and took time to quiet my spirit so I could hear his voice that He would bring me from this place of doubt and insecurity. So I worked on my bible study which seemed more like a catalyst to deeper thought which meant more doubt. Then I decided it was best to just go to bed. While there I prayed that God would show me that I was not thinking clearly. I don't want to feel helpless, insecure and untrusting of those around me. Those are not things of Christ and I know those are not in His plan for me.

The craziest thing happened. I fell fast asleep (a lot faster than I thought I would) and somewhere during the night I got up to use the bathroom. In my fog I walked back to bed and realized that for the first time in 24 hours my soul was at peace. It was as if the doubt, hurt, confusion of a few hours prior had been completely erased and I looked and felt like a clean slate. Immediately I was thankful. Thankful that a God who created the universe heard my heart last night and took away my pain. I was thankful that this morning I woke up new and fresh, with a clean slate to live, depend and walk with Christ. I'm reminded of the song "Great Is Thy Faithfulness"

Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I just got home from running some errands this morning and listened to that song in the car on the way home. That was the last song I listened to. Then I got on the computer and see your new blog titled Great is Thy Faithfulness! How amazing!