Saturday, June 21, 2008

Update

The mood around the house is a bit different this year than 2 years ago. There isn't so much energy, but more nerves. There is one housemate who is showing excitement, Dave. He was cute this morning. While eating breakfast he was talking to his wife and coaching her how to take pictures with his high tech camera. He said "just take lots of pictures." I couldn't help but smile. This is his first IM and he is asking all of the questions the rest of the gang asked 2 years ago. I love it. Even yesterday Cary commented that he felt like the only person who is really excited about this race is Dave. (this is Dave)





On another note, I'm concerned about the swim. We went down to the lake yesterday and watched as all of the guys practiced. The water temp. is below 57 degrees. They estimate by Sunday morning it should be 58 degrees. When I finally saw Cary come out of the water I rushed over to him. He said, "The only way I can try to accurately describe the swim practice...pain. The first ten minutes was painful. We made it to this buoy and I popped up holding my hands out of the water because they hurt so bad. Jason said he had a 'brain freeze' headache." Cary began cramping 1/2 through the 1 lap (race is 2 laps). However, he did say that about the 1/2 way point his body got used to the water temp and "it wasn't so bad." My opinion...it wasn't so bad b/c they were going into hypothermia! Usually during the swim portion of the race I leave the transition area and head out to a cheering spot on the course. I'm going to have to reconsider this. Thinking that it might not be so bad to hang around and make sure everyone makes it out of the water okay.
This is what Cary is doing right now. He's working on tweaking his bike, preparing his various transition bags and mentally preparing for tomorrow!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

praying for you guys! i thought about you a lot today...and will definitely be praying for Cary tomorrow!