Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Spooky Night

We seemed to have one eventful night after another. First it was the smoke alarm and tonight it was the copperhead snake.

Randomly, Sweetie decided to look out the front door and noticed we had a snake on the porch. I ran over while he examined the markings on its back to determine what type of snake it could be. Now as much as he doesn't like to kill animals (hmm....he hunts....) he did find it necessary to protect his wife and home from a poisonous snake, like the copperhead. I confirmed his guess by doing a quick Google search, all while he "prepared himself" for his attack.
Cary, ready for battle. Yea, I thought the blue oven mitt was a nice touch.

The victim.

Once on the front porch I proceeded to squeal like a freak while Cary tried to get the snake to move onto the matte. He figured that would make it easier to use the shovel and chop it's head off. I was concerned my squeal would irritate the snake and make it strike out at Cary. Thankfully that did not happen. (At the end of this story I will share another quick story of a spider and my squealing, which taught me not so many animals like to hear my squeal. Cary could have told me that with out the scary spider lesson. I digress.....) ((As if the oven mitt would keep any snake fangs from piercing his skin.))

Poor little baby snake. I can't see fangs, can you? Does it really matter, it's a snake for crying out loud!!

After a brief toss into the yard and search to confirm the head had indeed been removed and the snake did not pose a threat to our home, the Victor, "Sweetie" Cary Ayers stands proudly with his trophy. Claiming, "NOTHING WILL ENDANGER MY HOME!"


Okay, so here is my squealing story:
Monday night I was in the shower and after a moment of relaxing in the hot water I looked up only to see a small spider hanging from the ceiling. For your information our shower is completely enclosed and the only opening once the door is closed is about 12" for the steam to escape. I kept a very close eye on the creature, so much so that I gave my neck quite a kink. Okay, I never took my eyes off of the dang thing. But I figured as long as it didn't start letting itself down too close for my comfort I was okay with it hanging there. Did the spider do what it was supposed to? NO! Before I knew it my mouth opened and a high pitched squeal came out. Not a scream, but squeal in the sound of "BEEEE.....BEEEEE.....BEEEEE". Well, Mr. Spider didn't like that too much b/c with every brief freak out squeal it kept producing the web that made it fall even faster. I grabbed the handheld shower, changed the settings to "blast your skin off" and aimed at the little guy. Survival. That's what it was about and quite frankly I was tired of the kink in my neck. So I shot that sucker across the shower so fast I didn't see where it went. Hopefully it was painless for the little guy. I continued to scream for a bit once the killing was complete from shear panic. But then got over it, ran out of the shower and told Cary he should have heard me and ran to my rescue!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Eewww, I can't believe you took a picture of the chopped off head! So glad you've been kept safe by Master Cary!

K said...

Okay, I'm delurking (from Courtney's blog link) to tell you..way to go on your husband killing the copperhead...i think, from what i've heard, that the babies are more poisonous than adult snakes! Blah...it gives me the creeps...