Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Random Recipe

Okay, so I'm a self professed peanut butter addict.  NOTHING compares to peanut butter in my opinion.

However, chocolate is a CLOSE second.

Put the two together and I am one happy woman. 

However....recently I ate chocolate cake with raspberry sauce.  Quite delicious, I will say.  I never thought I would enjoy a "fruity" sauce, being my 2 former dessert companions make me very  happy.

So I had an event to attend which I brought a store bought chocolate cake and decided to make raspberry sauce.  Here is the recipe (courtesy of allrecipes.com)

1 pint fresh raspberries (I used 1 bag of frozen raspberries, just left them out on the counter until I was ready to use them)
1/4 C sugar
2 T orange juice (I just cut an orange in half and squeezed...no point in measuring this one)
2 T corn starch
1 C water

Combine the raspberries, sugar & OJ in sauce pan.  Whisk together the corn starch & water (pay attention to this step, if you added MORE OJ than 2 T hold back on the water.  You can always add more water to thin the sauce).

Add the corn starch/water mixture to berries and simmer for about 5 min. until you get it a little thick.  Remember the sauce will thicken as it cools.

Once the sauce has cooled a bit get out a bowl and a fine sieve.  Pour the sauce into the fine sieve to remove the seeds.  And there you have it!  The website recipe calls for blending the sauce before using the sieve.  I did use an immersion blender but didn't think it did anything to help the sauce's texture. 

SO TONIGHT, I was really hungry for some ice cream and noticed the raspberry sauce in the fridge (it will keep for about 2 weeks) so I poured the sauce on my neapolitan ice cream along with the last 1/4 of banana left over from breakfast this morning and the few toasted pecans from dinner and OH.  MY. WORD.  Friends, I have a new dessert love.

Try it out and let me know what you think!

Sorry, would have taken pictures but I didn't think to blog about it until AFTER my ice cream was finished.

Ohh, just thought about this....if you have fresh strawberries-make some biscuits, cut up some strawberries and use the raspberry sauce as a little kick for some strawberry shortcake! ;)

No comments: