Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year's Eve 2008

This was one of the best New Year’s Eve celebrations ever! Pat & Courtney, Brian & Peyton (+Molly--the dog) and Mike & Michelle all came into town to bring in the new year with EJ & Ali and Cary & I.

The evening began with everyone meeting up at our house. We ate a bit, drank a bit and of course caught up on life in ‘07.


Our first stop of the evening was Capital Ale House, were we spent a little more time hanging out before dinner.

Ali & I sipping on our fabulous Cosmos!

We made dinner reservations at Edo’s Squid several weeks ago. I just love the atmosphere with the exposed brick walls, really low lighting and the smell of garlic. It was an Italian restaurant and each family chose 1 entrée which we all shared family style.

Pat, looking like he's having a good time but inside he's wishing he was in bed!



Mike & Michelle

Courtney & I chatting it up!

I have no idea why everyone is fascinated with EJ's chicken leg...

EJ & Ali

Brian & Peyton

By the time dinner was over it we had about 45 minutes or so before the big ball dropping (?) in Carytown. Thankfully we had that much time because there were some slight parking issues that I shouldn’t bring up; however, thanks to Peyton’s prayers we found a prime spot and there were no more worries.
One thing that I found hilarious over the last 24 hours was the absolute NEED for Diet Coke and food in general when it comes to pregnant women; Peyton is due with her first child in February. Well, as soon as we walked past this Funnel Cake stand Peyton starting making noises which indicated to us and of course Brian that there was a distinct need for something sweet. I think we were all in the mood for something sweet! So as we waited for time to pass we munched on funnel cake and hot chocolate.


Well, I have to say (and I don’t think I’m mistaken in this comment) the actual “ball dropping” in Carytown was quite a disappointment. We all packed in nice and tight around the crowd, still a couple of blocks from the ball and next thing we know it’s not “dropping” but RISING. We all looked at each other like “Okay, when do we start counting down?” Ali had the foresight to tell us that the ball was going up instead of coming down. Too hard to believe and still not hearing any big band music or counting down we all stood around dumbfounded. The only indication that it was New Year’s (besides my watch which wasn’t good enough) was a couple behind Cary making out like they were the last people on earth. Yea sure there were 2 fireworks which shot off the ball building but that still didn’t convince us. Sometime between 12:03 & 12:05 we were convinced it was 2008 and we just walked back to the car discussing the anticlimactic event. Ali was right! From now on, listen to Ali. All that said, there are no fantastic “New Year’s kiss photos” due to all the confusion.



This morning we had a great big breakfast and hung out with friends & watched the dogs play until it was time for the Cassada’s & Young’s to travel home.


So now I’m really looking forward to starting my New Year’s resolutions. Cary and I will begin reading the 1 year bible together and I have a dentist appointment already scheduled for next week!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!

5 comments:

Peyton said...

We had such a great time with you guys, and you are a wonderful hostess. Love you!

Courtney said...

wow! you got some great pictures! i'm just going to tell everyone to look at your blog for our New Years events! GREAT blog entry...now let's see if you can keep it up ;-)
it was SUCH a fun couple days! thanks for making it happen!

Anonymous said...

great shots! thanks again.

Michelle said...

Thanks for hosting the evening and making all the plans Cary and Leah! Can you please email me the picture of Mike and me....it turned out a little better than the one on my camera...thanks! Good to see everyone!

Jaclyn said...

My top looks good on you, Miss Leah!